Deed FAQs

How can I get a copy of my deed?

You can visit our office to obtain a copy.

We’re located on the 3rd floor of the Broome County Office Building (60 Hawley Street, Binghamton NY 13901). Copies are $0.65 per page.


Deeds dating back to 1963 are available for download on our website:

  • Search Records as Guest.
  • Enter your name in the Party 1 field (Last First – Ex. SMITH GERRY).
  • Press the “Search” button.
    • Alternatively, if you know your Deed’s Book and Page, simply enter them into the corresponding fields and press “Search.”
      • You must include the prefix “D” in front of the Book #. (Ex. Book: D1234 / Page: 56)
    • Click “View” to examine the document.
  • The first page you’ll see is the document’s Recording Page, which specifies when the Deed was recorded in the Broome County Clerk’s Office.
  • To view the actual Deed, click on the blue arrows near the top of the page.
  • You can download the document and print it at home for $1.90 using a credit card by clicking the “Print/Download” button at the top of the screen.

Deed Books 595 – 1061 (1948-1962) were recently scanned and are accessible in a different location on our website. To access these records:

  • Visit
  • Search Records as Guest.
  • Click on the “INDEXBOOKS” link at the top of the screen.
  • Choose the “Go To Document” tab.
  • Enter the Book and Page numbers in the corresponding boxes.
    • Do not use a prefix before the Book # in this section.
  • Press the “Go to Document” button.
  • You can download the document and print it at home for $1.90 using a credit card by clicking the “Print/Download” button at the top of the screen.

How Do I File a Deed or Add or Remove Someone From My Existing Deed?

Unfortunately, once a deed is recorded in New York State, it can’t simply be amended or modified. A new deed must be recorded to change ownership.

You don’t need a lawyer to draft a new Deed, but Deeds are legal forms and are not supplied by the Broome County Clerk’s Office, nor can we advise customers how to fill them out, as that constitutes legal advice.

If you know which kind of Deed best suits your needs (Warranty Deed, Quitclaim Deed, Bargain & Sale Deed, Referee’s Deed, etc.) and you’re comfortable drafting the Deed on your own, you can obtain a Deed at a stationary store that sells legal forms or you can download one on the internet.

Otherwise, we’d recommend you consult a real estate attorney to have a new Deed drafted.

Deeds cost $45 plus $5 per page to record in the Broome County Clerk’s Office. A standard 2-page Deed will cost $55 to file.

Along with each Deed you record, you must file two New York State forms, which have their own filing fees:

  • Transfer Tax Return (TP-584):
    • Form & Instructions:
    • $10 filing fee + any transfer tax owed.
    • Transfer Tax in Broome County is $5 per $1000.
      • $4 goes to the State / $1 goes to Broome County.
        • You pay the full $5. The Broome County Clerk's Office will calculate the difference and cut a check to the State for its portion.
      • Transfer Tax Owed = Sale Price x .005.
        • If the sale price is an uneven amount, round up to the nearest $500 to calculate your transfer tax. For example:
          • $175,100 → $175,500 x .005 = $877.50
          • $175,650 → $176,000 x .005 = $880.00
          • $80,001 → $80,500 x .005 = $402.50
          • $80,501 → $81,000 x .005 = $405.00
      • If there’s no purchase price, you should enter $0 as the taxable amount on Page 2, Schedule B, Part 1 and only pay the $10 recording fee.
    • This form can be printed and handwritten. Most of the information you’ll need can be pulled from your tax bill or you can visit, click on Broome, choose your municipality or school district and search by street address.
    • The TP-584 can be printed on traditional 8.5 x 11 Letter size paper.
    • If the grantor or grantee does not have an SSN, you must attach a letter to the TP explaining why. New York State requires this information.
    • If the TP-584 is signed by a Power of Attorney (POA), a copy of the POA must be attached to the TP-584.
      • If a copy of the POA is not attached to the TP-584, the Broome County Clerk’s Office reserves the right to reject the submitted documents.
  • Real Property Transfer Report (RP-5217).
    • Form:
      • Note: If it says you need a newer version of Adobe Reader to view the document, try opening the link in a different browser – such as Internet Explorer. For whatever reason, sometimes the RP-5217 won't open in Google Chrome.
    • Instructions:
    • RP-5217 FAQs
    • This is a web-based, downloadable, barcoded PDF which must be completed online and printed on 8.5 x 14 Legal size paper.
    • The fee to file an RP-5217 for a Residential Property is $125
    • Vacant land and commercial property have a higher property class code and cost $250 to file.

Between the Deed, TP-584 and RP-5217, it’ll cost approximately $190 to record a standard 2-page residential Deed in Broome County.

The TP-584 and RP-5217 need to be signed by both the grantor (seller) and the grantee (buyer).

The Deed must be signed by the sellers in front of a Notary Public.

NOTE: Out-of-state residents selling property in Broome County are also required to complete an IT-2663 Nonresident Real Property Estimated Income Tax Payment Form.

  • If any tax is due, your check should be made payable to NYS INCOME TAX.
  • This form is year specific. The year listed in the upper left-hand corner of the form must be the same as the year the transaction took place.

Checklist for Recording Deeds and Avoiding Rejections:

  • The Grantor/Seller must be the same on the Deed, TP-584 and RP-5217.
  • The Grantee/Buyer must be the same on the Deed, TP-584 and RP-5217.
  • Deed must be completed with names and addresses of the Grantor(s) and Grantee(s).
  • Grantor(s) must be properly acknowledged by a Notary Public.
  • All signatures must be original.
  • All documents must be original. No photocopies.
  • Make sure everything is signed and dated.
  • Deed must include a full legal description. See previous Deed for language.
  • Acceptable page sizes are 8 ½ x 11 or 8 ½ x 14.
  • Be sure to indicate who the Deed should be returned to after it’s recorded.
  • Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your documents.

What are the recording fees for filing a Deed?

  • Deed:
    • $45 + $5 per page
  • TP-584:
    • $10
  • RP-5217:
    • $125 for residential properties
    • $250 for vacant land and commercial properties with higher class codes

Recording fees may be paid with cash, check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). No personal checks over $500. Checks made payable to the Broome County Clerk.

Where Can I Find My Deed’s Book and Page Numbers?

They are referenced on the Recording Page of your Deed. If you don’t have a copy of your Deed, you can reference it on our website,, by searching for your name (Last First) in the Party 1 field (see instructions above).

Alternatively, this information is also available on Broome County’s GIS Real Property Search Portal @ (search for your name or property address) and on

  • Click on Broome
  • Choose your municipality or school district
  • Search by street address
  • Click on your name
  • Show Property Details


The Broome County Clerk’s Office is providing a free new tool to local residents to help property owners protect their homes, one of their most valuable assets.  With Fraud Alert, you can sign up to receive alerts whenever a document, such as a deed or a mortgage, is recorded in the Broome County Clerk’s Office with your name attached to it.

*Please note there may be multiple other property owners in Broome County that share the same name. By viewing the actual documents, you can confirm if the deed or mortgage impacts your property. Documents can be viewed online or in person at the Clerk’s Office.  “This is an easy way for homeowners to have peace of mind,” said County Clerk Joseph Mihalko.  

You can sign up now at