In June New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an Executive Order requiring local governments to perform a comprehensive review of current police force deployments, strategies, policies, procedures, and practices, and develop a plan to improve them. To see the executive order click here.
The Governor also signed the 'Say Their Name' Reform Agenda implementing statewide reform including:
- Allowing for transparency of prior disciplinary records of law enforcement officers by repealing 50-a of the civil rights law;
- Banning chokeholds by law enforcement officers;
- Prohibiting false race-based 911 reports; and
- Designating the Attorney General as an independent prosecutor for matters relating to the civilian deaths.
Per the Governor's Executive Order, every locality must adopt a plan for reform by April 1, 2021 to be eligible for future state funding. For guidance on the New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative click here.
Broome County Police Review Taskforce Members:
- Kevin McManus - Broome County Deputy County Executive
- Colleen Wagner - Broome County Executive's Office
- Captain Kathleen Newcomb - Broome County Sheriff's Office
- Sergeant Sam Davis - Broome County Sheriff's Office
- Mike Korchack - Broome County District Attorney
- Michael Baker - Broome County Public Defender
- Scott Baker - Broome County Legislator
- Kim Myers - Broome County Legislator
- Sandra Felton - Community Liaison
- Amber Jennings - Community Liaison
- Pastor Mario Williams - Faith Community
- Nancy Williams - Broome County Department of Social Services and Mental Health Commissioner
- December 8, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- December 15, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- December 22, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- December 29, 2020 (see agenda/see minutes)
- January 12, 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
- January 19, 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
- January 26, 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
- February 2, 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
- February 9, 2021 (see agenda/see minutes)
Public Listening Session
The Broome County Police Review Taskforce will host a public zoom listening session for residents of Broome County to participate in. Residents will be able to share their thoughts regarding the Broome County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Sheriffs and Detectives.
- January 13, 2021 - 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Register via Zoom here.
Thank you to those who submitted their comments and recommendations via our comment form. The comment form has now been closed.
County Executive Jason Garnar held a Public Hearing to solicit public comment on Broome County plan for the NYS Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative on February 16th, 2021. Written comments can also be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Broome County Police Reform & Reinvention Collaborative Plan 2021
Final Plan Approved by the Broome County Legislature 3/18
To Learn More About Your Local Law Enforcement:
For information on the Broome County Sheriff's Office click here.
Broome County Sheriff's Office Annual Report 2019
Additional Law Enforcement Agencies in Broome County:
City of Binghamton Police Department
Village of Endicott Police Department
Village of Johnson City Police Department
Village of Port Dickinson Police Department