THE COUNTY CLERK HAS A VARIETY OF RESOURCES FOR NEW BUSINESS OWNERS.
1. DBA Forms
Many new business owners choose to file a DBA (Doing Business As) certificate at the County Clerk's Office. That reserves for you the exclusive use of a business name in Broome County. Also, many banks and taxing authorities require a DBA be on file. The filing fee for DBA is $25.00. The County Clerk's Office has a variety of DBA forms available as hard copies for $1.00 and as downloadable forms for free. All signatures on the DBA must be notarized, and the Clerk's Office has notaries on staff to assist you. Before filing, please search on the County Clerk's website () to be sure that the name you've selected for your new business isn't already in use.
VARIOUS DBA FORMS
- Certificate of Doing Business Under an Assumed Name (DOCX) (PDF)
- Certificate of Discontinuance of Doing Business Under an Assumed Name (DOCX) (PDF)
- Certificate of Doing Business as Partners (DOCX) (PDF)
- Certificate of Discontinuance of Doing Business as Partners (DOCX) (PDF)
- Amended Business Certificate (DOCX) (PDF)
2. State and Federal Contacts
You may need a “sales tax number." Requirements and further information can be obtained on the the State website or by contacting the NYS Taxation and Finance District Office, 44 Hawley Street, 8th floor, Binghamton, NY.
You may also need a Federal ID number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Requirements and further information can be obtained on the IRS website or by contacting the Federal Building, 11-17 Henry Street, Binghamton, NY.
3. LLC Publication Information.
Pursuant to provisions contained within Section 206 of New York State's Limited Liability Company (LLC) Law, the County Clerk has designated the following newspapers as satisfactory for publication of notices:
- PRESS & SUN BULLETIN 607.798.1234
- THE DEPOSIT COURIER 607.467.3600
- THE WINDSOR STANDARD 607.775.0472
- THE COUNTRY COURIER 607.775.0472
- THE VESTAL TOWN CRIER 607.775.0472
- THE REPORTER 607.724.2360
People publishing notices should pay particular attention to the geographic requirements set forth in Section 206 of NYS's Limited Liability Company Law.
4. Other useful contacts.
There are many agencies that exist solely to help small businesses grow and thrive. Below are website addresses of agencies that can be very helpful as you begin your business and beyond.